Parmazano Bechamel? What! Yes it is true, this is like the lasagna you might have had years ago, now even better...VEGAN!
Lasagna with Parmazano Bechamel
You will need:
1 packet of Dried Lasagna Sheets (egg free), 300g TVP or Vegan Mince, 1 large Brown Onion, 3 Carrots, 1-2 cloves of Garlic, 2 tins of Chopped Tomatoes, 1-2 tbs Tomato paste, 6-8 fresh Button Mushrooms, 2 cubes of Vegetable Stock, 50g Margarine, 3-4 tbs Plain Flour, 250ml Dairy Free Cooking Cream, 500-700ml Water, Vegan Parmazano Powder, Herb Salt, Black Pepper, Thyme & Marjoram or Oregano
- Dice the onion and grate the carrot. Fry on a medium heat in a non stick pan until soft.
- Add the sliced mushrooms, mince and crushed garlic. Sauté for a few minutes on a lower heat (if your heat is too high it will burn the garlic, giving it a bitter taste)
- Sprinkle the herb salt, black pepper, thyme and marjoram / oregano into the mince mix. Add the paste and crushed tomatoes.
- Taste! If needed add more spices. A tip can be to add a small amount of sugar, tinned tomatoes will taste sweeter and riper.
- This is the mince mixture done.
- Melt the margarine, add the flour and stir until it forms a paste.
- Add the dairy free cooking cream and your vegetable stock cubes. When the mix thickens, start adding you water slowly while stirring and simmering on a medium heat.
- The parmazano powder should be added now. How much you add is up to you, depending on how cheesy you want it. I use around 2tbs
- Add a pinch of herb salt and some black pepper.
- Taste! Season more if needed.
- Start layering your lasagna with the mince mix, then bechamel and pasta on top.
- Continue with this until your oven dish is filled.
- Remember to always start and finish (top and bottom) with the two sauces.
- Cook in the oven for 40-45min on 200-225C / 390-440F
- Always check on your lasagna during it's cooking time. If it is getting too dark, lower the oven temperature.
- Poke the lasagna with a cake tester before taking it out of the oven, ensuring the pasta is cooked.
- I like it served with a simple and fresh side salad containing: lettuce, tomato and cucumber.
Brands I recommend in this blog are:
- A. Vogel, Herbamare (healthy herb salt)
- Oatly, iMat (the cooking cream)
- Life Free From, Dairy Free Parmazano (the vegan parmesan)
- Hälsans Kök, Färs (the vegan mince)