You will need:
- 150 g Dairy Free Margarine
- 500 ml Vegan Milk
- 50 g Fresh Yeast (or dry yeast equal to 50g, read on packet)
- ½ tsp Salt
- 1½ dl (½ cup) Sugar
- 2 tsp Cardamon (powder)
- 13 dl (5½ cups) Plain Flour
- Dairy Free Margarine
- Vanilla Sugar
Vegan Milk and Pearl Sugar (optional chopped almonds)
- Melt your margarine and add the milk. Heat until finger warm (37C / 98F)
- Dissolve the yeast with the milk/margarine liquid in a big bowl. Add salt, sugar, cardamon and around 2/3 of the flour.
- Work the dough until shiny and add more of the flour. Saving 1-2dl (½-3/4cup) for the rolling of the dough later on. The dough is ready when it isn't sticking to the sides of the bowl longer. (make sure you don't add too much flour, that will give you a hard and dry bun)
- Sprinkle the dough with flour and cover with a clean kitchen towel. Leave to rise in room temperature with out a drag until the dough has doubled in size. (approx. 30-50min)
- Once your dough has risen, put it on a floured work bench and knead.
- Cut the dough in half and roll with a rolling pin. Leaving it around ½ inch thick and square shaped.
- Spread your soft dairy free margarine over the square dough and sprinkle with alot of sugar and vanilla sugar.
- Roll up the dough and cut into even sizes. (sometimes the ends will be a little smaller and can be put two in one paper)
- Lay them with the cut side up in individual paper baking cups. (if you can't find paper cups with a low edge you can bake them just on a parchment paper)
- This recipe should make between 45-55 vanilla buns.
- Now leave them to rise in their paper cups, until they have doubled in size.
- Brush them with your vegan milk of choice and sprinkle with pearl sugar. The bake for 8-10 min in a 225C / 440F convection oven (fan based) or 250C / 480F conventional / deck oven.
- They are ready once they get a light golden colour.