You will need:
- salt (for boiling the eggplant)
- 1 eggplant
- 5 tbs mustard (if using strong and sweet mustard use less sugar)
- 1 tbs vinegar
- 2 tbs sugar
- 100 ml of oil
- 50 ml soy or oat cream
- Peel eggplant and cut into strips (herring fillet size). Boil them in heavily salted water 5 minutes. The strips should be soft and flabby, but not so much that it turns into mush. Let shreds drain and cool.
- Whisk together mustard, sugar and vinegar.
- Add the oil while stirring.
- Stir in the soy cream.
- Season with spices and chopped dill.
- Fold in the eggplant strips in the sauce.
Tip: The Vegan Mustard Herring will taste better the day after, when all the flavours have blended and soaked into the eggplant.