This is one for that special occasion, the dessert you dream about and want to have again and again after eating it the first time. WOW! So nice and can be made so quick. In this recipe we will take some shortcuts, using pre made (unbaked) vegan puff pastry, store bought strawberry jam, ready made dairy free vanilla ice cream and making vanilla custard using vegan friendly custard powder.
You Will Need:
Vegan Puff Pastry
(have a look at your local grocery store, most frozen and chilled pre-made puff pastry doughs are vegan)
Vanilla Dairy Free Ice Cream
(I use a swedish brand called TofuLine, also know as Swedish Glace in some countries)
Custard Powder Mix+required ammount of milk/sugar
(Most custard powders that requires you to simmer them adding milk is usually vegan and by adding a vegan milk substitute the custard will be vegan friendly)
(Alot of dark chocolates are vegan, even if it isn't labeled as that on the wrapper. Read the ingredients and choose a semi-sweet chocolate)
(ofcourse you can do all these parts home made too)
- Defrost your puff pastry dough if frozen, grease a large muffins cup tray and cover them with the puff pastry forming a cup. To keep the puff pastry from puffing up too much cover the top of the dough with a baking paper and fill the inside of the cup with "pie baking weights" or uncooked rice. (this step is only to weigh the dough down while baking)
- Bake at a 175 C / 340 F oven for 20min. Take the puff pastry out of the oven and gently remove the weigh filling. If your puff pastry still is very light and soft, bake until golden without the weight filling.
- Mix your vanilla custard according to the directions on the packet, it should be more of a creamy texture than a saucy one. Leave to cool down.
- When your golden puff pastry cups have cooled down, fill them with a few tablespoons of custard each and a few tablespoons of strawberry jam.
- Get your ice cream out of the freezer and leave out until just soft.
- Melt your chocolate.
- Now add one ice cream scoop of vanilla ice cream on to each puff pastry cup and then dip your strawberries in the chocolate. Add the strawberries straight on to the ice cream to have a nice effect of the melted chocolate dripping down over the vanilla ice cream and setting hard.
- Dust with icing sugar and serve.