Friday, August 26, 2011

Swedish Pancakes

This recipe was featured on Onegreenplanet today, so I wanted to share it with you all here too.





So here is the secret to make the perfect Swedish vegan pancakes!
Ingredients:
Pancake Batter:
  • 600 ml Dairy Free Milk (make sure you use unsweetened milk if you are making savoury pankcakes/ crêpes)
  • 1 cup Plain White Flour
  • 4 tbs Soy Flour
  • 1 pinch of Salt
  • 1 tsp Baking Powder
  • 4 tbs (or 50 g) Dairy Free Margarine (+ extra for frying the pancakes)
Sweet & savoury filling/ topping suggestions:
  • Raspberry or strawberry jam with whipped cream or vanilla ice cream (this is the true Swedish way)
  • Fresh squeezed lemon and sugar
  • Creamy mushroom, topped with vegan cheese. (baked in the oven until the cheese has melted)
  • Creamy “shrimp” or “ham”, topped with vegan cheese. (baked in the oven until the cheese has melted)
Preparation:
  1. Melt the margarine and leave it to slightly cool.
  2. Mix all the dry ingredients and add half of the milk whisking well, electric beater is recommended.
  3. Add the rest of the milk and the melted margarine. Leave the batter for 15-30 minutes, this will allow the batter to slightly thicken before use.
  4. Use a small nob of margarine to fry around 100 ml of batter in a non-stick pan (remember add you pancake batter and swosh it around in the pan to spread it thin and evenly). This recipe will make around 10 pancakes.
  5. Eat them straight away with your sweet topping of choice or fill them with your favourite savoury filling and roll them up. Sprinkle with vegan cheese and bake in a   390 F oven until the cheese has just melted and turned slightly golden.
If you feel like eating a large pankcake-cake this recipe will make a good and big one.
Tip: If you have pankcakes left over, store them in the fridge and make a snack. Spread your cold pankcake with a thin layer of margarine and sprinkle with sugar. (optional some cinnamon)… Roll up and enjoy.


Everyone, please remember have a look at ONEGREENPLANET regularly for lots of inspiration.




16 comments:

  1. These look really really nice, I'll give you a +1!

    Ciao
    Alessandra
    http://alessandrazecchini.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love these pancakes! So gooooood! With fake sausage meat and "Daiya" cheese makes me want to make that replacing the buttery biscuits! My bf will make them when I go back home in the U.S. I'm missing everything there! He also studied at Uppsala, too :)

    xxx from Vienna
    http://www.veganmiam.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. These look fabulous. I might have to give them a shot soon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, they are beautiful. Don't think anyone is going to miss the animal fat!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks to you all for the comments and the +1 :) These are easy and tasty, just remember to make them as thin as you can so you get tasty crispy edges :) YUM! (tip: pour in you pancake batter and swosh it around in the pan to spread it thin and evenly)

    Good luck to you all and thanks again!

    //Emma @The Vegan Swedes

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my. Vegan french toast was my favorite last week and now I just HAVE to try these. Thanks so much for sharing this. And the photo just makes me hungry!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Aw Thanks Dan :)

    //Emma @The Vegan Swedes

    ReplyDelete
  8. So nice to discover your blog! My grandma's family was from Sweden & I grew up eating Rosettes during the holidays. Do you have a vegan recipe for them? You have no idea how happy it would make me!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I will try to remember and post a vegan recipe for them :) Thanks for enjoying the blog.

    //Emma @The Vegan Swedes

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks so much! I've had mixed results making rosettes with soy milk and ground flax. I'm really looking forward to your version!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I just made these and they are amazing! Just like my mom made them when I was a kid. Thank you so much, I've been wanting vegan Swedish pancakes for so many years and these are perfect!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much. Swedish pancakes are yummy, good you got to eat some again.

      //Emma @The Vegan Swedes

      Delete
  12. Wish there were instructions on how to actually cook them

    ReplyDelete
  13. Making these right now!!! Thank you for the fantastic plättar recipe. My whole family loves them, even the non-vegans.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Is there anything I can substitute for the soy flour? Perhaps cornstarch?

    ReplyDelete