You will need:
Eggplant (or other vegetables such as Zucchini/ Broccoli/ Cauliflower) ½ cup Plain Flour, ½ cup Potato Flour or Corn Starch, 1 tbs Baking Powder, ½ tsp Salt, ½ tsp Pepper, ½ tsp Tumeric, ½ tsp Cumin (optional chilli or other hot spice) and Water.
- Cut the eggplant into ½ cm slices and sprinkle them with salt to draw out the water.
- Mix all dry ingredients for the batter in a bowl. This might sound strange, but taste some of the flour mix to see how the spices taste and that its enough. Just dipping your finger is enough.
- Add a little water at a time, whisk while doing it and only add enough to make a runny paste. Thick like wallpaper glue.
- Use paper and pat the water off the eggplant slices. Dip the eggplant in some flour to make them completely dry. (this will help the batter stick to the eggplant)
- Heat optional vegetable oil in a pan, Only enough to cover the bottom of your pan. (make sure it is a oil that can take the heat)
- When the oil is hot dip your eggplant slices in the batter and fry for a few minutes on each side. Until golden.
- Serve with a side of fresh and fluffy basmati rice and your marinated mushroom hats. Using the marinade as a sauce for the rice is very good.