You Will Need:
- 1½ cup (3½ dl) of Plain White Flour
- 1 cup (2½ dl) White or Brown Sugar
- 3 tbs Cocoa Powder (dark european style)
- ½ tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Baking Powder
- 5 tbs Canola or Sunflower Oil
- 1 tbs Vinegar
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract (or vanilla powder)
- 1 cup Cold Water
- Mix all your dry ingredients in a bowl.
- Mix all your wet ingredients in another bowl
- Add the wet to the dry and use an electric beater to combine it all until smooth.
- Grease a spring tin and gently sprinkle with a thin layer of bread crumbs.
- Add the batter to the tin and bake at 350F / 176C in a pre heated oven for 30 minutes. (bake in the lower part of the oven)
- Leave your cake to completely cool down before making the butter cream and spreading it on the top of the chocolate cake.
For the Butter Cream Topping You Will Need:
- 100 g Margarine
- 1 2/3 cup (4dl) Icing Sugar
- 4 tsp Vanilla Sugar (or use vanilla extract)
- 2-3 tbs Plain Oil (this is to represent the fatty part of the egg yolk used in the non-vegan version)
- Start by mixing the margarine with the two sugars, then add your oil. Just do some at a time until the filling gets smooth and creamy.
- When your cake has cooled down completely (very important the cake isn't warm)Spread the top of your cake with the butter cream and sprinkle with cocoa powder.
Tip: This cake will be good in the fridge for quite a long time (around 5 days or more) Stores best on a plate in the fridge wrapped in plastic wrap. Or if you have a cake container.