You will need:
6-8 Potatoes, 4-6 Carrots, 1 Leek, Margarine, 3tbs Plain Flour, Water, 2 Vegetable Stock Cubes, Salt, Pepper, 1 tub Vegan Cream Cheese, 3-4tbs Mild Mustard and 1 pot/bunch of Chives.
- Peel your potatoes and carrots. Cut them into even chunks, making the carrots slightly smaller than the potatoes. The carrots are harder in texture and will there for take longer to cook.
- In a deep pan add a fair ammount of margarine, when hot add your potatoes and carrots.
- Spice them with salt and pepper.
- Cook for 5 minutes. Remember to keep an eye on your cooking and to move the carrots and potatoes around to keep them from sticking to the bottom.
- Lower the heat and add your flour to the pan. Now mix the flour in to avoid lumps. Add water and vegetable stock cubes, just barely covering the carrots and potatoes. Keep on stirring to make sure the liquid stays thick but still runny and also don't stick to the pan.
- Once mixed, leave to gently simmer for 10min.
- Now cut and clean your leek. Remember to rinse it under water cause a lot of dirt can hide in all the layers of the leek.
- Add the leek to your pot and mix it all together. Leave to simmer another 5-10min, or until both carrots and potatoes are soft and ready to eat.
- You can now add the mustard, vegan cream cheese and half of your cut chives.
- Taste! If more spice or mustard is needed, add before serving.
- Serve the Kartoffel Pot in a bowl and sprinkle over some of the cut chives.
- Taste great with fresh bread, but even better with swedish crisp bread (spisbröd / knäckebröd).
Brands I recommend in this blog are: