Fresh and flavourful sponge cake that soaks in a lemon syrup.
You will need:
150g Dairy Free Margarine, Egg Replacer (equlliant to 3eggs), 2dl (3/4cup) Sugar, pinch of Salt, zest of ½-1 Unwaxed Lemon, 3dl (1 1/4cup) Plain Flour, 2tsp Baking Powder and Bread Crumbs. Lemon Syrup: 2dl (3/4cup) Icing Sugar, Juice of 1 Lemon and 2tbs of Water
- Melt the margarine and let it cool.
- Whisk egg replacer, sugar, salt and lemon zest until fluffy.
- Add your margarine, flour and baking powder to the egg replacer mixture.
- Grease a round baking tin (with the hole) also lightly sprinking a thin layer of plain bread crumbs (to prevent the cake sticking to the tin and also ensuring that the cake will keep a good shape).
- Bake in a preheated oven for 45min at 175C / 340F
- After baking, let your cake cool down, still in the tin.
- Mix all the ingredients for the soaking syrup.
- Flip your cake out of the tin and onto a plate. (using a toothpick or some other long and thin skewer). Poke several small holes on the top of the cake.
- Using a spoon start soaking the top of your cake with the lemon syrup. If you don't want a very strong lemon flavour only use half the syrup. This step might take a few minutes, just cause the cake can't absorb all the liquid at once.
- Serve you cake chilled.